Sunday 29 January 2012

Project Runway All Stars: the addiction continues

There has been some grumbling around the internets about the latest season of Project Runway.  Some think that it doesn't hold up without Heidi, Tim et al., but I have to say that I'm as impatient for each week's episode as ever.  Some of my favourites are there (Mondo, Mila and Austin) and a few duds (come on, you have to wonder why Elisa was there, save for a bit of drama).  

Episode I was the perennial favourite, Unconventional Materials challenge.  There were a few stunners, such as Kenley's rubber mat dress, Mondo's plastic dress, and Rami's carrier bag dress:


  and a few duds, such as Gordana's, Elisa's and Sweet P's:

A tiered terry cloth tube dress?  Ugh.  Better wrap a belt around the neck to spiff it up.  Double ugh.


Austin's bias cut lamé gown in the second episode blew me away:

Oooooh, aaaaaaah.
I didn't really love anything from episode 3 (Miss Piggy???), but Kenley's dress was kind of cute, in a teenager's-idea-of-glamour kind of way:

The 15 year old in me likes it, but the 41 year old doesn't.


Episode 4 was a super quick 6 hour challenge, based on gelato colours:

I guess if I only had 6 hours from sketch to runway, I'd do a caftan too, but you certainly can't fault Mondo's cantalope caftan or Michael's grapefruit gown.  (Aside:  Mondo did a similar caftan in season 8 during one of the challenges, but as a short top.  I remember because I took a screen cap and planned to copy it when my skills improved!)  Even Kenley's dress was cute, if a little Home Ec. looking. 

How about you:  Are you watching this season too?  Yeah or nay?

15 comments:

  1. I would love to see Project Runway, but we don't get it over here in England any more.Big shame. We did have our own short lived version Project Catwalk which was also good. Yep I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen all three seasons of Project Catwalk and I like it too, although Elizabeth Hurley was a bit much. We had a Canadian version, but there were only two seasons and no talk of doing another one anytime soon.

    You can watch Project Runway online, if you don't mind file sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been watching it and have enjoyed it so far I guess. It's refreshing to have different judges, I think, and I'm glad to see some of my favorites back (Austin, Mondo, Rami, Anthony for humor's sake). Too bad they don't have more talented females, though. The past season of normal Project Runway was so uninspiring that I'm just relieved to watch designers with some taste and talent, though as always, I wish they went into more detail about technique and process rather than who-stole-whose-accessories-from-the-accessory-wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping that all the women won't be eliminated, especially since I really like Mila's work, and I grudgingly have to admit liking Kenley's work this season. So far.

    I was hopeful in the last episode when Gordana was trying to explain to Anthony about stablizing the zipper on a bias seam, when BANG, they switch to some reality TV drama about egos. Damn. More process, less drama please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like this season to a point, because i love that all of the made-up drama from recent seasons is missing. and it's great to see that all of the designers are really the best of the best. but the challenges have been awful! and boring!

    at least we still have mondo.


    puu

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always like the unconventional materials challenge because someone usually comes up with a showstopper (and then there are a bunch of black plastic bag and candy monstrosities to laugh at). I'd love to see a "real life" challenge, like they gave to buy from the quilting section of a Joanne's or the remenant bin and only have $20 to spend. And they have to adapt a fugly New Look pattern to reflect their design aestetic. THAT would be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. * have to buy *remnant *aesthetic
      Geez. Proofread much?

      Delete
  7. I miss Heidi and Timm. But as you said, there is no lack for talent in this season. I really loved the Miss Piggy episode. Because she was/is an idol of mine. As a fat girl/woman.... she always is so dramtic and fashionable, so I looked up to her and it was great to see what they designed for a muppet. I must say the prises this season are over the top fantastic. I love Mondo of course and I want to see him win this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Mondo was robbed in season 8. Let's hope he knocks it out of the park this time.

      Delete
  8. I really thought Tim and Heidi were deal breakers for me, but seeing Monroe and Austin back are making up for it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series that Austin was in (On the Road with Austin and Santino) never aired in Canada, and I'm dying to see it too. I wonder if it's on Netflix?....may have to get it....

      Delete
  9. I always tell myself I'm going to watch the next season of PR, especially since I started sewing, but somehow I never do. I do love that bias cut gown, though! Also, love your idea of having them make a New Look pattern out of quilting fabric. Or how about Kwik-Sew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only TV show that I never miss, but I usually multitask and watch on my laptop while I do dishes or sew. That way it feels less time-wasting.

      How about this Kwick Sew beauty?: http://www.kwiksew.com/Catalog/cat_detail.cfm?pid=3743&Cat=Crafts&Level=Home_Decor&QL=Home_Dec

      Aack.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha love it! I don't generally watch visually-heavy shows while multitasking since I want to see what they're wearing/making on Downton Abbey or PR, so I'm stuck with podcasts or documentaries.

      Delete
  10. I'm totally going to knock off that caftan with this BEEyootiful print I found at my neighborhood in case of emergency sewing store for $3/meter. The shape is super simple but his fabric mixing just blows me away every time. I'm so happy he won. I was going to flipa table if Austin "star of stars" won.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...