Monday 30 December 2013

Top 5 Misses of 2013

Continuing in the spirit of Gillian's Top 5......


Top 5 Misses: Sewing Fails, UFOs, worn once, or complete disasters:


1.  Dr. Who Hollyburn skirt:  I made this to match my daughter's circle skirt, but it is so translucent that it's almost transparent!  I didn't have any lining fabric when I sewed it, so I bought a neutral slip, but then it still looked weird.  I plan to unpick the waistband and sew in a lining whenever I get some good slippery fabric.




2.  Tiny pocket tank:  I didn't even blog about this one.  It went together easily, and I used a beautiful waxed cotton from South Africa, but it just wasn't quite right.  The colour makes me look sickly, and the fit is off on me:  the high bust is both too tight (pulls across the upper chest) AND gapes open when I lean over.  Not quite sure how to remedy that, but I don't think I'll wear it again.




3.  Red trousers:  Before sewing the successful red leggings I mentioned in my last post, I cut and basted a pair of trousers from Simplicity XXXX (something I'm too tired to look up now because I think I recycled it), using some cheap red twill.  The fit was so monstrously bad that I threw them in a pile and haven't pulled them out since.  I flubbed the zip fly, the front crotch hung about 2 inches too low, and the back was giving me a horrible wedgie.  No photos exist.  Consider yourself lucky.  

4.  14th century tunic:  I promised my man that I would sew him an historically accurate linen tunic for doing readings at conferences (he studies and teaches old->middle English literature).  The cut pieces are neatly folded balled up in my to-do pile.  Oops. 




5.  Trousers for my son:  my son is going through a phase where he hates wearing anything with a button waist.  Most of his pants are jeans with button waist.  Sigh.  So I told him that I would make him a few pairs of pull-on trousers or fleece pants.  Have I made any yet?......

2 comments:

  1. This post is like a really unfortunate mirror., with the exception of promised husband sewing. (He only requests mending--double ugh). Boys' fabric is folded on the table, languishing, and my tiny pocket tank does the same thing. Yoshimi did a tutorial for fixing it which looks promising, though.

    http://yoshimitheflyingsquirrel.blogspot.com/2013/07/grainline-studio-tiny-pocket-tank-2-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that link; I remembered reading it somewhere....

    I actually had some time to do some fixing this afternoon during which the kids were occupied, but I used the time for blog reading ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...